Monday, January 22, 2007

The good, the bad, and the suprising.

The other day I was reading through the knitting discussion board on Craftster, and came across a girl who is new to this whole knitting addiction, and who had had an unfortunate experience at the first LYS she went to. Apart from having to overcome the sticker shock of the yarn she wanted, she was faced with a snooty sales clerk and bad customer service. This is unfortunate, but it seems to be a trend that is happening all around us. Today I read an article about reference librarians scoffing or even laughing at patrons who were calling to request information. Furthermore, the information requested was simple and wouldn't have taken up the librarian's time to find a proper and concise answer. So I'm wondering, what gives?


Anytime I visit Loop or Sophie's I'm immediately greeted and offered help. The girls even offer to wind the yarn I've selected while I look around, or to put my things at the counter while I continue to search. This doesn't require anymore effort than being an ignorant jerk would, and as an added bonus I keep going back and giving them more and more of money.


Believe me, I get some bizarre people coming into my work, but I really try and treat all their requests no matter how small or large with the dignity and respect that I would want for myself. I hope that I can acheive the same thing as a librarian. But most of all, I really hope that all those snooty LYS owners and scoffing librarians will wise up and realize that without customers or patrons, there would be no yarn store, no library. And frankly, I don't know what'd I'd do without those things.




Isn't that colorway to die for? I stumbled across a bag of the stuff at Loop in the sale bin. 3 balls of Noro Silk Garden Lite for like $20 total. The pattern is Danica from Knitty. This is my first foray into entrelac, and it's really addictive. Today alone I got through one ball. Already I'm planning another one in some yummy Malabrigo. I love learning new techniques and continuing to push my knitting forward.

No comments: