Thursday, October 30, 2008

WE WON!

It has not been mentioned here yet, but I think this would be the appropriate time to tell you that I love baseball. I love baseball and Philadelphia and we just won the World Series for the first time in 28 years. Even the following day I have to say that I'm still in a bit of shock. Listening to the radio at work last night (yes, work, on the most important night of the year), I paused when we were one out away, stood quietly hunched over a table as Uncle Harry in his soothing timbre say "Swing...and he missed it."


Wait...WHAT? He swung and MISSED? I couldn't move. He swung and missed? That means strike 3! That means out 3!


THAT MEANS WE FUCKING WON!


Loud cheering on my part ensued. It's something that I'll never forget as long as I live.


As soon as we went outside we were showered in champagne and beer and high fives and more yelling. As expected insanity ensued and working at Broad and Walnut, we had a front row seat for what was probably the most destructive crowd in the city. What started with 100 people quickly turned to thousands with folks climbing street lamps to snatch down World Series banners, people scaling buildings, newstands, bus shelters, anything to get a better view. And my personal favorite, the 5 guys who stole our trash dumpster and rode it down Broad Street.


The following are photographs I took with my phone.


The Beginning




Note the Bus Shelter is still intact


Victory Face




A fire truck rolled down the street and people climbed on it





Someone fell through the bus shelter, (across the street a crowd tore another one down completely)


Riot Police


Trash Fire on 16th below Walnut St.



Little Pete's was mobbed, but my victory meal of grilled cheese, fries, and a milkshake was well worth it.


The Aftermath


No comments: